Monday, May 12, 2008

Earth Day Green Tips




Tuesday, April 22, 2008 Nanette Jaeger

Today is EARTH DAY

Some folks say, "Every day is Earth Day, I know which planet I live on." Grumpy attitudes aside, I like to have a day on the calendar to appreciate not only the Earth but our town of Gladstone. We're fortunate to have a beautiful river, clean parks, our beloved historical Pow Wow tree, and shops and businesses within walking distance. I often think to myself, why drive to the post office when I can walk. I save gas and create less pollution.

Go Green Tips:

1. Recycle your cell phone. Patronize shops that participate in cell phone recycling programs.
2. Use your own bag to shop. If you don't own a bag, they can be purchased at Fred Meyer and Safeway.
3. Grow vegetables and herbs. You don't need to be a master gardener, a few pots or a small plot will do. Just think, you'll save money and there will be less energy wasted and pollution from food transportation.
4. Turn off that water faucet when you brush your teeth and clean the kitchen.
5. Encourage a young person to conserve and protect the Earth. Our environment depends on it.

"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders." ---- Henry D. Thoreau

No comments: